What is an environmental policy?
Defence R&D Canada’s (DRDC) environmental policy is the commitment of senior management to protect the environment. The policy provides general direction and sets out policy principles for environmental management within DRDC.
Why did DRDC initiate an environmental policy?
DRDC is aware that its activities can have an impact on the environment and that it has the responsibility to contribute to the protection of that environment. The environmental policy will therefore enable DRDC to:
- demonstrate its commitment to environmental friendliness in its activities and management;
- be in a position to comply with federal legislation and Department of National Defence environmental policies and guidelines; and
- initiate the implementation of DRDC’s environmental management system.
What is an environmental management system?
An environmental management system is an approach that allows the inclusion of environmental considerations in daily activities and management. This tool is used as an instruction guide for environmental management within DRDC. It will allow monitoring, assessment and communication of environmental performance. DRDC’s environmental management system draws on the international standard model ISO 14 001.
What are the main components of the environmental policy?
DRDC’s environmental policy includes the following major components:
- presentation of organization mission and values in conjunction with environmental protection;
- acknowledgment of the Agency’s responsibility to protect the environment;
- environmental commitment; and
- communication to employees and an invitation for their collaboration.
What will be the impact of the environmental policy on DRDC’s research activities?
The policy will ensure that environmental considerations are taken into account when planning and implementing R&D activities performed by DRDC.
Research activities that are likely to have an impact on the environment will be assessed and framed in environmental management plans in order to eliminate or reduce impacts as much as possible.
Who is the environmental policy’s designated authority?
The Chief Executive Officer endorses, on behalf of DRDC, the environmental policy commitments.